Sunday, September 24, 2006

Journalism and Motivating Change

After our Thursday discussion in class, I thought it might be worth talking through more of the issues we touched. I was surprised at a few of the sentiments. Namely, I got the sense that some of you believe what we do is worthy, but doesn't really motivate change.

If we don't tell these stories and motivate the change, who will? In a way, doesn't this bring us full-circle to where this blog started? And that was the email from the guy who wrote about walking away from the neighborhoods - to give it up. We wasting our time?

I'm also curious, why are so few of you not interested in journalism as a career? Is it as one person put, "I want to make money."

1 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Suhailah said...

We learned early on that our job is to be objective. Get as many sides of the story that exist and manipulate them into an order that captures the eye and makes sense to boot. It did get a little heated in class, but I think it was because each of us is going to be a different kind of journalist and our conflicting views are just a mirror of our individuality. Are we in the business of motivating change? I think so...if only it was that easy.
You can inspire change only if you are willing to debunk the status quo. Can we do that? I think we can...MURL is providing the perfect outlet for us to explore how we can make a difference.

Walking into ASPIRA and seeing the faces of these future leaders, knowing they're getting a good start...and then realizing the millions of other kids who aren't...and then coming to the conclusion that the only change you can bring about is one that makes sense to you and what you identify with. The news, in general, is an unpleasant thing. I stopped watching it a while ago, right after Faheem Thomas-Childs was murdered by a stray bullet in front of his school about two years ago. I cried for a while after watching that heartwrenching coverage. It even made me think about changing my major because it would be hard for me to even think about sitting in the newsroom and having to write that article. But I love being a writer and I love the satisfaction I get after completing a story and knowing that I did everything I could to do it justice. Now is not the time to do things halfway, and I believe MURL is helping us prepare for the future. We've been given the opportunity to focus on an underrepresented community and give it some attention. They deserve some recognition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home